Location: Northern Luzon and parts of Central and Southern Luzon
Event: Typhoon Mangkhut (local name Ompong) has further intensified and is predicted to enter the Philippine Area of Responsibility on Wednesday afternoon. Heavy rains and strong winds are possible over Northern Luzon and parts of Central and Southern Luzon. Surrounding seas are expected to be rough. Rains are expected to be heavier than usual over Palawan, Mindoro, and Western Visayas on Friday and Saturday.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid travel to affected parts of Luzon until the storm has dissipated.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Review your personal preparedness plan and seek shelter in the event of heavy wind and rains.
- Monitor the Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical, Astronomical Services Administration (PAGASA), Joint Typhoon Warning Center, and Tropical Storm Risk websites for updated storm tracking information.
- U.S. Embassy Manila, Philippines
+63 3012246, or +63 3012567
+63 3012000 (after hours)
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Philippines Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter