United States Embassy Manila, Philippines
Weather Alert – U.S. Embassy Manila (May 14, 2020)
Location: The Philippines
Event: Typhoon Vongfong (local name Ambo) is expected to make landfall in Samar the afternoon or early evening of May 14. It continues to intensify while moving west at 15 kph, with maximum sustained winds of 155 kph near the center and gusts up to 190 kph. Current projections predict it will bring heavy to intense rain fall over Northern Samar, Quezon, Aurora, Marinduque, and Romblon on May 15. Residents in the affected storm path may experience strong winds and heavy rains, with possible flooding, landslides, and dangerous driving conditions.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid travel to typhoon affected areas until the storm has departed the Philippines.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Notify friends and family of your safety.
- Review your personal security plans.
- Have travel documents up to date and easily accessible.
- Have evacuation plans that do not rely on U.S. government assistance.
- Seek secure shelter in heavy wind and rain.
- Monitor the Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration website at http://bagong.pagasa.dost.gov.ph/.
- Check with airline carriers for flight information.
- U.S. Embassy in the Philippines
1201 Roxas Boulevard
+63(2) 5301-2000, from 7:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Monday through Friday
After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +(63)(2) 5301-2000
- State Department–Consular Affairs 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444.
- State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Advisories, Alerts, and the Philippines Country Specific Information.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts.
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.