United States Embassy Manila, Philippines
United States Consular Agency Cebu, Philippines
Weather Alert: Severe Storm Update (Typhoon Odette/Rai)
December 17, 2021
Location: Visayas and surroundings areas, Philippines
Event: Typhoon Odette (Rai)
There is severe damage across the Visayas region from Typhoon Odette (Rai). While no areas remain under Signal No. 4, Signal Nos. 1 to 3 remain in effect, and significant rainfall continues to be a threat. Expect continued outages in electricity, water, and communications, as well as blocked roads and limited transportation options.
The typhoon is currently over the Panay Gulf moving generally westward and expected to make landfall in the vicinity of Palawan today, December 17, 2021, and pass over the West Philippine Sea in the evening. The typhoon is expected to exit the Philippine Area of Responsibility during the morning or early afternoon of Saturday, December 18, 2021.
Appointments have been canceled at the U.S. Consular Agency in Cebu for today, Friday, December 17, and Monday, December 20. Appointments will be rescheduled as soon as possible.
Actions to take:
- Contact the American Citizen Services Unit at the U.S. Embassy in Manila if you need emergency assistance.
- Monitor the Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration (PAGASA) website for updates on current conditions: http://www.pagasa.dost.gov.ph
- Stay home if safe to do so.
- Follow the instructions of local authorities.
- U.S. Embassy Manila: +63 (2) 5301-2000; ACSInfoManila@state.gov
- State Department – Consular Affairs: 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Philippines Country Specific Information
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP)to receive Alerts
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter