Diplomatic and Official Visas (A, G, and C-3)

If you are traveling to the United States on official business for a foreign government or for an international organization or mission, you may apply for a diplomatic or official visa (A, G, or C-3 visa).

Processing Times: Normal A&G visa processing time takes a minimum of three working days from the time the Embassy receives a completed visa application and all required documents.

Hours of Operation:  Diplomatic and official visa applications for official travel are accepted at Window 10, Monday through Friday between 7:30 a.m. and 8:30 a.m., except U.S. and Philippine Holidays.  Most qualified applicants are not required to appear for an interview with a consular officer and are exempt from fees.

Contact: For questions or information about Diplomatic Visas, you may contact the Non Immigrant Visa section at CONSManilaNIV@state.gov.

A Visas

With the exception of a Head of State or Government who qualifies for an A-1 visa regardless of the purpose of his or her visit to the United States, the type of visa required by a diplomat or other government official depends upon his or her reason for entering the United States.

To qualify for an A-1 or A-2 visa, the individual concerned must be traveling to the United States on behalf of his or her national government to engage solely in official activities for that government. Local government officials representing their state, province, borough, or other local political entity do not qualify for “A” visa status; they require B-1 or B-2 visas.

Note:    Government officials traveling to the United States to perform non-governmental functions of a commercial nature or traveling as tourists require the appropriate H, L or nonimmigrant visitor (B1/B2) visa. Please see the Business/Tourist Visas section for more information.  In general, B1/B2 visa applicants are required to personally appear at the Embassy for an interview. There is a visa processing fee for B-1/B-2 visa applicants. A-1 or A-2 applicants are exempt from this visa-processing fee.

G Visas

To qualify for a G visa, the applicant must be entering the United States for official duties. Members of a permanent mission of a recognized government to an international organization are eligible for G-1 visas; representatives of a recognized government traveling to the United States temporarily to attend meetings of a designated international organization are eligible for G-2 visas; representatives of non-recognized or non-member governments are eligible for G-3 visas; and G-4 visas are issued to individual personnel who are proceeding to the United States to take up an appointment at a designated international organization, including the United Nations. This visa classification is also exempt from the visa-processing fee.

C-3 Visas

C-3 is a classification for foreign government officials and members of their families and his or her attendants, servants or personal employees seeking merely to enter in transit through the United States to another country.

Visas for Immediate Family Members of Diplomats

Immediate family members of the A-1, A-2, G-1, G-2, G-3, and G-4 visa holders are entitled to derivative status in the same classification as the principal alien if they seek to accompany or “follow to join” the primary visa holder.  Immediate family member is defined as the spouse and unmarried sons and daughters of any age who are members of the household. An immediate family member may also be a person who will reside regularly in your household, is not a member of some other household, and is recognized as your immediate family member by the sending Government or International Organization, as demonstrated by eligibility for rights and benefits, such as the issuance of a diplomatic or official passport or travel and other allowances. See http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/other/diplomat-foreign-government-official.html  for additional information about members of household.

A family member who does not qualify as immediate family, as described above, may qualify for a visitor (B-2) visa.  Visitor visa applicants are required to come for visa interview and will need to pay visa application and issuance fees, if applicable.


How to Apply

  1. To apply for an A, C-3, or G visa, please complete the basic documentary requirements as specified in Step 2 of the application procedures.
  2. Complete the additional documentary requirements below.
  3. Submit documentation to the US Embassy at Window 10. Diplomatic and official visa applications for official travel are accepted Monday through Friday between 7:30 a.m. and 8:30 am., except U.S. and Philippine Holidays.

Note on pick-up: An authorized representative may submit and pick-up the documents on behalf of the visa applicant.  The applicant must provide the representative with a written authorization and his or her valid, signed identification card or passport.  The representative must also present his or her own valid identification card.

Documentary Requirement For Principal Applicants

Diplomatic Note

A Diplomatic Note is the written confirmation of your status and official purpose of travel to the United States. For A or C-3 visa holders, the Diplomatic Note is typically issued by the sending country’s ministry of foreign affairs.  For G visa holders, the Diplomatic Note is typically issued by the sending or supporting international organization.

The Diplomatic Note must contain:

  • Name and date of birth
  • Position and title
  • Place of assignment or visit
  • Purpose of travel
  • Brief description of duties
  • Travel date
  • Anticipated length of stay or tour of duty in the United States, and
  • The names, relationships, and dates of birth of any dependents and other members of household who will be accompanying or joining the principal, if applicable.

Note: For any posting of greater than 90 days, the diplomatic notes must originate at the sending country’s Office of Foreign of Affairs and not a US Mission or Embassy.

Additional Documentary Requirements for Immediate Family Members

  • Proof of the principal’s status – Diplomatic Note or its equivalent from the principal’s current employer
  • Copy of principal’s nonimmigrant A or G visa