Manila, October 4, 2018 — The U.S. Embassy in the Philippines will partner with De La Salle University to host the first U.S. National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) Space Apps Challenge from October 19 to 21 in Manila. The event is open to groups of three to five people, ages 16 and above.
In collaboration with the De La Salle University Libraries and DLSU Animo Labs, the NASA Space Apps Challenge will allow coders, scientists, designers, storytellers, makers, builders, and technologists across the globe to tackle challenges on Earth and in space, using NASA’s open data. The three-day event, which will be held at the U.S. Embassy’s American Corner at De La Salle, consists of a data bootcamp and a 48-hour hackathon.
Registration details are below:
- Dates: October 19-21, 2018
- Venue: American Corner, De La Salle University Libraries
- Theme: “Earth and Space!” The six challenge categories can be found at https://2018.spaceappschallenge.org
- Registration: https://spaceapps.splashthat.com/
- ASSEMBLE: Form a team of three to five people. Team members must be at least 16 years old and above.
- IDENTIFY: Read and understand the challenge categories for the 2018 NASA Space Apps Challenge.
- UPLOAD: Submit a 30-second video pitch OR a 300-word essay (maximum) of your proposed project idea based on the challenge category that you would like to work on with your team.
- ATTEND: Must be willing to attend the Data Boot Camp and spend 48 hours at the NASA Space Apps Challenge venue.
American Spaces in the Philippines are collaborative and innovative spaces where a diverse range of people, private and public partners, and others can connect, discover, share, and be empowered by new ideas, skills, and opportunities to bring positive change to individuals and communities. The U.S. Embassy in the Philippines maintains 15 American Spaces, including the American Center Manila and 14 American Corners in key locations throughout the Philippines. You can find more information about American Spaces Philippines at www.americanspacesph.org, on Facebook at www.facebook.com/amspacesph, and on Instagram at @amspacesph.