Apply for a Child Passport

First Passport Application for U.S. citizens Under the Age of 16

You may apply for a U.S. passport if you are already in possession of one of the following documents:

  • U.S. birth certificate (click here for the Department of State’s requirement for U.S. birth certificates)
  • Consular Report of Birth Abroad
  • Certificate of Naturalization
  • Certificate of Citizenship

If you do NOT have one of these bulleted documents but believe you have a claim to U.S. citizenship, please click here.

Step 1:

Read and print the Passport Checklist. (PDF 289 KB)

Step 2:

Fill out electronically and print the DS-11 Application for a U.S. passport wizard form. If you experience trouble with the Passport Application Wizard, click here for the Form DS-11 (PDF 100 KB).

  • Check that you have read the Privacy and Computer Fraud and Abuse Acts Notices and Disclaims and click submit.
  • Click Apply Online
  • Print the DS-11 form upon completion.
  • Please note that some instructions and options on the form are only applicable in the United States.

Step 3:

Click here to schedule an appointment. Use a valid e-mail address and print your confirmation. Click here to cancel an appointment.

Step 4:

Both parents must provide consent authorizing passport issuance for a minor under age 16. Please click here for the Two Parent Consent Requirement Issuance to Minors Under Age 16. See the scenarios below, and follow the instruction that best applies to your circumstance:

Both Parents MUST:

  • Appear in person with the minor
  • Sign Form DS-11 in front of a Consular Officer/Acceptance Agent

One Parent MUST:

  • Appear in person with the minor
  • Sign Form DS-11 in front of a Consular Officer/Acceptance Agent
  • Submit the second parent’s notarized Statement of Consent (Form DS-3053 (PDF 41.2 KB)) with the attached photo I.D. used during notarization of the consent. This form must be notarized by a U.S. commissioned notary or a Consular Officer of the U.S. Embassy or Consulate.

One Parent

(with sole legal custody)


  • Appear in person with the minor
  • Sign Form DS-11 in front of a Consular Officer/Acceptance Agent
  • Submit primary evidence of sole authority to apply for the child with one of the following:
  • Minor’s certified U.S. or foreign birth certificate listing only the applying parent
  • Consular Report of Birth Abroad (Form FS-240) or Certification of Birth Abroad (Form DS-1350) listing only the applying parent
  • Court order granting sole custody to the applying parent (unless child’s travel is restricted by that order)
  • Adoption decree (if applying parents is sole adopting parent)
  • Judicial declaration of incompetence of non-applying parent
  • Death certificate of non-applying parent. If the death occured in the Philippines, please provide the NSO issued death certificate.

NOTE: If none of the above documentation is available, the applying parent must submit Form DS-5525 (PDF 40.9 KB) (Statement of Exigent/Special Family Circumstances) stating why the non-applying parent/guardian’s consent cannot be obtained.  The statement must explain in detail the non-applying parent’s or guardian’s unavailability and recent efforts made to contact the non-applying parent.  The applying parent also may be required to provide evidence (e.g., custody order, incarceration order, restraining order) to document his/her claim of exigent or special circumstance.  The Embassy may ask for additional details if the statement is determined to be insufficient.

A Third Party
(in Loco Parentis applying on behalf of a minor under the age of 16)


  • If both parents/guardians are absent: Present an original written statement signed by each absent parent/guardian and notarized, specifically authorizing a representative to apply for a passport on behalf of a child. The statement must include: minor’s full name and date of birth; affiant’s relationship to child (e.g., mother, father, etc.); affiant’s street address, telephone number and email address; and a specific statement that the affiant gives consent for the issuance of a U.S. passport to the named minor child.
    Please note we will only accept this document for 90 days after the date of signature and should be notarized by a U.S. commissioned notary or at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate overseas. The absent parent(s) must also provide a photocopy of the front and back side of the acceptable photo I.D. used during notarization.

IMPORTANT NOTE: The written consent (Form DS-3053) from the non-applying parent that accompanies an application for a passport for a minor under the age of 16 must be less than 3 months old. New written consent from the non-applying parent must be obtained and submitted with any future passport application for the minor under age 16.

Step 5:

Show up for your appointment.  Follow all the instructions on the checklist and bring all documents to your appointment. Once payment has been made and application has been approved, passport will be processed and delivered within 4-6 weeks.