Death of a U.S. Citizen

Reporting the Death of an American

The death of a U.S. citizen should be reported immediately to the Embassy. The Embassy will notify the next of kin, if necessary, and carry out their instructions regarding the disposition of remains. Additionally, unless the legal next of kin is in the Philippines, the Embassy may act on behalf of the executor as the provisional custodian of the estate.

During working hours contact the American Citizen Services Unit (Tel: +63 (02) 530-12-000 X 2246.) After working hours, the Embassy duty officer should be contacted as soon as possible at +63 (02) 530-12-000.

The toll-free telephone number for the office of Overseas Citizen’s Services (OCS) in the Department of State is +1 (888) 407-4747. Outside the US or Canada dial +1 (317) 472-2328. The hotline is available during the hours 8:45 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. (EST) Monday through Friday. At all other times, please call the Department of State at +1 (202) 647-4000.

The Embassy is required to report the death of American civilians to their next of kin and to the Department of State. Consequently, we need to know the deceased person’s name, date and place of birth, passport number, date and place of death, cause of death, and the location of the remains. We also need the full name and address of the next of kin so that we can determine their instructions regarding arrangements for the deceased.

Once the death certificate is issued by Philippine authorities, the Embassy will prepare a Consular Report of Death of An American Citizen Abroad. This document will assist the next of kin with legal matters that may arise as a result of the death.

If the next of kin or another individual who is responsible for making the funeral arrangements is in the Philippines, a suitable funeral home should be contacted (click this link for list – PDF 44 KB). Philippine health laws require prompt disposition of the remains. The remains are handled in accordance with the laws of and facilities available in the Philippines and, in some cases, the services fall short of those expected in the U.S. If the remains are being returned to the U.S. for burial, it is recommended that your local funeral director be contacted prior to any arrangements.

If the remains are shipped to the U.S. they must first be embalmed or cremated, unless waived for approved religious reasons. The Embassy can assist in the arranging of this, though all costs must be paid by the next of kin. There are several funeral homes in the Philippines that have provided adequate embalming services in the past.

Estimated Costs of Mortuary Services in the Manila Area

The cost for preparation and burial in Manila – $2,500.00
The cost for cremation and disposition of ashes in Manila approximately $2,500.00
Preparation and air shipment of remains; Manila to U.S. – $8,000.00
Cremation and air shipment of ashes; Manila to U.S. – $3,000.00

These estimated costs may vary depending on the specific circumstances and location of the deceased. The varying exchange rate of the U.S. Dollar and the Philippine Peso will also affect these costs.

The Embassy prepares a Consular Report of Death Abroad (CRODA) for each U.S. citizen who dies in the Philippines and whose death is reported to the Embassy.  The CRODA is based on the Philippine death certificate and is valid for use in the United States.  The next-of-kin will find this report useful in dealing with insurance companies, Social Security Administration, Department of Veterans Affairs, or in any situation in which he/she will need proof of death.

The Embassy completes the report upon submission of the following:

  1. original or certified copy of the duly registered local death certificate from the local civil registry
  2. deceased’s original US passport, if available
  3. completed DS-2060 form (Guidance for Completing the DS-2060 form and sample form)
  4. a copy of NOK’s valid passport or other valid ID

Note:  The Embassy may require other documents, depending on individual circumstances.  Please include an email address we can use to reach you.  Although not required, it helps us contact you more easily in case we have further questions, and may speed up the issuance process.

Please submit these documents to the U.S. Embassy:

  1. In person / walk-in at Window 1 at the U.S. Embassy, Manila from 7:30 to 11:00 a.m., Monday to Friday, except during Philippine and U.S. holidays and the first and third Wednesday of the month. If the documents will be submitted by a family or legal representative in lieu of the next-of-kin, please provide an authorization letter from the next-of-kin;
  2. Via mail to the U.S. Embassy, Special Consular Services Unit, American Citizens Services, U.S. Embassy, 1201 Roxas Boulevard, Manila, Philippines. If you are mailing the documents from the United States, you may send them to CON/ACS, UNIT 8600 BOX 1147, DPO AP 96515-1147.

We will send you certified copies of the CRODA after it is completed.  For further inquiries, please contact the U.S. Embassy Manila at

If you need additional copies of a CRODA after it has already been issued by the Embassy, please contact the U.S. Department of State’s Passport Vital Records Section.

CDC requirements for importing human remains depend upon if the body has been embalmed, cremated, or if the person died from a quarantinable communicable disease.

At this time, COVID-19 is a quarantinable communicable disease in the United States and the remains must meet the standards for importation found in 42 Code of Federal Regulations Part 71.55 and may be cleared, released, and authorized for entry into the United States only under the following conditions:

  • The remains are cremated; OR
  • The remains are properly embalmed and placed in a hermetically sealed casket; OR
  • The remains are accompanied by a permit issued by the CDC Director. The CDC permit (if applicable) must accompany the human remains at all times during shipment.
    • Permits for the importation of the remains of a person known or suspected to have died from a quarantinable communicable disease may be obtained through the CDC Division of Global Migration and Quarantine by calling the CDC Emergency Operations Center at 770-488-7100 or emailing

Please see CDC’s guidance for additional information.

The Embassy will also issue a consular mortuary certificate and other documents needed if the remains are to be shipped to the United States.

To assist the Embassy in preparing the mortuary certificate, the next-of-kin or representative from the funeral parlor should submit original or certified copies of the following documents:

  • Two certified copies of the local death certificate
  • Proof of citizenship, such as U.S. passport or certificate of naturalization
  • Original transit permit from city hall
  • Confirmed airline booking
  • Airway bill number
  • Consignee information
  • Embalmer’s certificate (for remains)
  • Certificate of cremation (for ashes)
  • Passport or other valid IDs of the signatory to the mortuary certificate (affidavit)
  • Exhumation of remains certificate/permit (for those who died in the Philippines more than 5 years ago)
  • Quarantine permit
  • Mortuary Certificate from the Philippine Embassy/Consulate (if remains/ashes were from the U.S.)

There is a fee of $60 for the Consular Mortuary Certificate for the shipment of remains of non-U.S. citizens, please prepare the items above.

Family members of the deceased U.S. citizen and funeral home representatives may obtain the Consular Mortuary Certificate from Window 1, American Citizen Services anytime between 7:30 a.m. – 11:00 a.m., Monday through Friday, except Philippine and U.S. holidays.

Costs for funeral arrangements for a deceased American citizen are expensive and the estimated costs will fluctuate with inflation and exchange rates. If costs are to be borne by relatives or friends in the United States, the US Embassy can assist with necessary arrangements once funds are received from relatives or friends. Funds can be transferred to the Department of State for use in these situations via an Overseas Citizens Services (OCS) Trust.  For more information on providing funds via OCS Trust, please visit the Department of State’s web page on Sending Money to U.S. Citizens Abroad. Family members may also choose to make payment arrangements directly with the funeral home.

Please note that the Department charges a $30.00 processing fee for OCS Trusts.  Western Union will also charge a fee for the money transfer. Any unused funds from an OCS Trust will be returned after all bills have been paid. If funds are being provided from the United States, the Embassy must have confirmation from the State Department that the necessary funds have been deposited before instructing the funeral home to make the necessary arrangements. Therefore, it is imperative that the necessary funds and instructions are provided as soon as possible after a death occurs. Next of kin may contact the Embassy directly to convey instructions for the disposition of the remains.