All appointments for Consular Reports of Birth Abroad (CRBA) and Adult Derivative Citizenship applications at U.S. Embassy Manila will be made through a mail-in appointment scheduling system in order to provide better service to our clients.  The system will reduce the wait time for appointments and help families prepare for their citizenship appointment at the Embassy.  Please follow the instructions below.

A Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA), FS-240, is an official record of U.S. citizenship issued to a person under age 18 who was born abroad to United States citizen parent(s) and acquired citizenship at birth. Schools, the Social Security Agency, and other institutions throughout the United States accept it and give it the same credence they give to birth certificates issued by state authorities in the United States.

Only the child’s biological parent or legal guardian, preferably the U.S. citizen parent, can apply for a CRBA.  Either parent, including a non-U.S. citizen parent, may execute and sign this application.  If it will be signed and executed by a legal guardian, a special power of attorney from the parent(s) or guardianship affidavit must be submitted.  The application must be made before the child’s 18th birthday and the child must make a personal appearance at the U.S. Embassy.

We encourage parents to document their child’s citizenship as soon as possible after the birth. Delays in reporting of the birth of your child could cause inconvenience and possibly deprive your child of this valuable document because persons age 18 and over are not eligible for a CRBA. Information for persons over the age of 18 who are attempting to acquire citizenship through their U.S. citizen parent(s) as adults can be found on the Derivative U.S. Citizenship for Adults page.

NOTE: Only biological children of Americans may qualify for a CRBA/Derivative U.S. Citizenship.  Adoption of a child by an American citizen does not confer U.S. citizenship on the child.  However, adopted children may be eligible for citizenship through naturalization, pursuant to a lawful admission into the U.S. as a permanent resident.  See our Adoption information  or the Department of State’s Child Citizenship Act of 2000 page for more information.

  • Click here to apply for CRBA (children under 18 years old) 
  • Click here to apply for Derivative Citizenship claim (adults 18 years old and above)
  • Click here for replacement of a lost/damaged CRBA
  • The American Citizen Services section does not process requests for social security numbers. Although there is a reference to obtaining a social security number on the appointment system, Embassy Manila has a separate Social Security Administration office. Click here to view the Social Security Administration page.

For the safety and security of all applicants and employees, applicants cannot bring cell phones or other electronic devices inside the Embassy. Applicants who bring such devices will be denied entry.