An official website of the United States government

Student Visa
January 1, 2022

The Consular Section of the Philippine Embassy or the Consulate General may issue a student visa pursuant to Section 9(f) of the Philippine Immigration law upon receipt of authority from the Philippine Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA), Manila. This authority is granted after completion of a process that starts with an application for admission with the school of choice. If the student’s application is accepted by the school, it refers the application to the Department of Education (DepEd) for approval. If meritorious, the Secretary of DepEd approves the admission of a foreign student and endorses its approval to the Secretary of Foreign Affairs. Based on the endorsement of DepEd, the DFA authorizes the Philippine Embassy or Consulate nearest the applicant’s place of residence and having jurisdiction over the place.

The Student-applicant is then required to appear personally at the Consulate and submit the following:

  1. A valid passport
  2. Two completed application forms;
  3. Four (4) identical passport-size pictures of applicant;
  4. Medical and physical examination report by an authorized physician. It must also include the chest x-ray film, laboratory reports and a certificate that the applicant is free from AIDS. The medical examination report is acceptable only if submitted to the quarantine officer at the port of entry in the Philippines, together with the visa application, within six (6) months from the date the examination is conducted;
  5. Police Clearance, issued by the police authorities of the place where the applicant resides. (Police Certificate based on fingerprint check); and
  6. Visa Application Fee

Student visas are secured from the Philippine Embassy/Consulate in their country of origin or residence, irrespective of where they are at the time of approval of their application or where they initiated their application.

The submission of an application for a student visa for the 1st semester of each school year must be submitted from January to March and for the 2nd semester from June to August.

Processing of student visa applications takes approximately two (2) months from the date of receipt.

Upon arrival in the Philippines, the American student must secure his Alien Certificate of Registration (ACR) and Certificate of Residence for Temporary Students (CRTS) at the Bureau of Immigration, Intramuros, Manila.

The American student is advised to secure a Study Permit before enrolling from the Commission of Higher Education.