Security Alert – U.S. Embassy Manila, December 21, 2018
Location: Throughout the Philippines
Event: The Embassy reminds U.S. citizens to exercise caution while traveling and residing in the Philippines. The holiday season is a prime time for criminal and terrorist activity. While victims can oftentimes simply be at the wrong place at the wrong time, they can also be targeted because of a perception of affluence. In years past, there have been incidents of robbery, pick-pocketing, thefts of property from vehicles, and unoccupied residences being burglarized. Any public event that draws holiday crowds can be a target for terrorist groups seeking publicity for their cause.
Actions to Take:
- Keep a low profile.
- Do not display signs of wealth, such as wearing expensive jewelry or watches.
- Stay alert in locations frequented by tourists and/or Westerners.
- Avoid crowds.
- Avoid walking in dark or isolated areas.
- Always carry some type of identification.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Do not physically resist any robbery attempt.
- Always drive with your windows rolled up and the doors locked.
- Park in well-lighted areas. Do not leave personal items openly displayed in your vehicle.
- Always keep the doors to your residence locked, even when at home.