United States Embassy Manila, Philippines
United States Consular Agency Cebu, Philippines
March 9, 2021
Natural Disaster Alert – U.S. Embassy Manila
Location: Vicinity of Taal Volcano Island and High-Risk Barangays Around Taal Lake
Event: In light of ongoing volcanic and seismic activity, the Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology (PHIVOLCS) has issued an ALERT LEVEL 2 for the Taal Volcano. “This means that there is probable magmatic activity that may or may not lead to an eruption,” according to the alert. “At Alert Level 2, evacuation is not yet recommended.”
Taal Volcano Island (TVI) is located approximately 100 kilometers south of Manila on the island of Luzon. PHIVOLCS considers TVI a Permanent Danger Zone (PDZ). Entry into TVI, especially the vicinities of the Main Crater and the Daang Kastila fissure, remains prohibited.
Actions to Take:
- Exercise caution if contemplating travel in the vicinity of TVI and the barangays surrounding Taal Lake.
- If you are in the area, monitor current conditions, maintain active awareness of local conditions, and refrain from entering the PDZ and high-risk barangays.
- Monitor local media and the PHIVOLCS website for updates.
- U.S. Embassy in the Philippines: +63(2) 5301-2000 or ACSInfoManila@state.gov
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Philippines Country Information
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook
For further information:
-Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
-Contact the U.S. Embassy in Manila, Philippines, located at 1201 Roxas Boulevard, at +(63) (2) 5301-2000, from 7:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +(63) (2) 5301-2000.
-Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).