U.S. Embassy Manila, PhilippinesU.S. Consular Agency Cebu, Philippines
March 26, 2022
Natural Disaster Alert – Taal Volcano at Alert Level 3
Location: Vicinity of Taal Volcano Island and High-Risk Barangays Around Taal Lake
Event: The Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology (PHIVOLCS) issued an Alert Level 3 for the Taal Volcano today. “This means that there is magmatic intrusion at the Main Crater that may further drive succeeding eruptions,” the alert states. “PHIVOLCS strongly recommends Taal Volcano Island and high-risk barangays be evacuated due to the possible hazards of pyroclastic density currents and volcanic tsunami should strong eruptions subsequently occur.”
Taal Volcano Island (TVI) is located approximately 100 kilometers south of Manila on the island of Luzon. PHIVOLCS considers TVI a Permanent Danger Zone (PDZ). Entry into TVI, especially the vicinities of the Main Crater and the Daang Kastila fissure, remains prohibited.
Actions to Take:
- Exercise extreme caution if you live within the affected areas, especially in the barangays surrounding Taal Lake.
- Maintain active awareness of local conditions and refrain from entering the PDZ and high-risk barangays.
- Monitor local media and the PHIVOLCS website for updates.
- U.S. Embassy in the Philippines: +63(2) 5301-2000 or ACSInfoManila@state.gov
- State Department – Consular Affairs 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Philippines Country Information
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook