U.S. Embassy Manila, Philippines
U.S. Consular Agency Cebu, Philippines
June 9, 2023
Natural Disaster Alert – Mayon Volcano at Alert Level 3
Location: Vicinity of Mayon Volcano, Albay Province, Bicol Region
Event: The Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology (PHIVOLCS) has raised the alert level for Mayon volcano to Alert Level 3.
Per PHIVOLCS, the Mayon volcano is currently in a relatively high level of unrest and a hazardous eruption is possible within weeks or even days. PHIVOLCS recommends that the 6-kilometer radius Permanent Danger Zone (PDZ) be evacuated due to the danger of lava flows, rockfalls, and other volcanic hazards.
Actions to Take:
- Exercise extreme caution if you live within the affected areas.
- Maintain active awareness of local conditions and refrain from entering the PDZ and other high-risk areas.
- Monitor local media and the PHIVOLCS website for updates.
For further information about security in the Philippines:
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Advisories, Alerts, and the Philippines Country Specific Information.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in Manila, Philippines, located at 1201 Roxas Boulevard, at +(63) (2) 301-2000, from 7:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +(63) (2) 301-2000.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.