U.S. Embassy Manila, Philippines
U.S. Consular Agency Cebu, Philippines
July 27, 2022
Natural Disaster Alert – Magnitude 7.0 Earthquake in Northern Luzon
Location: Vicinity of Tayum, Abra
The Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology (PHIVOLCS) recorded a magnitude of 7.0 earthquake centered around Tayum, Abra at 8:43 a.m. Aftershocks were also reported in the areas of Danglas, Abra; San Juan, Ilocos Sur; and Tayum, Abra.
No tsunami advisory has been issued by the Municipal Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Offices (MDDRMO). The Cordillera Regional Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (RDRRMC) implemented its Regional Disaster Response Plan for Earthquake.
There are currently no reports of injury to U.S. citizens, but the Embassy continues to monitor the situation in conjunction with Philippine authorities.
Actions to Take:
- Exercise extreme caution if you live within the affected areas.
- Stay calm and alert. During periods of seismic activity watch out for falling objects and stay away from glass windows, shelves, cabinets, and other heavy objects that may cause injury.
- Maintain awareness of conditions and avoid steep slopes.
- Monitor local media and the PHIVOLCS website for updates.
- Monitor the NDRRMC website.