United States Embassy Manila, Philippines
United States Consular Agency Cebu, Philippines
Weather Alert: Severe Storm – Precautionary Measures
December 16, 2021
Location: The Philippines
Event: Severe Storms – Precautionary Measures
Typhoon “RAI” with local name “ODETTE” is currently in the Philippine Area of Responsibility (PAR). It is expected to continue intensifying until it makes landfall this afternoon, December 16. Considering the recent trend in its intensification, the typhoon may reach a pre-landfall peak intensity of 185 to 195 km/h. The typhoon will continue moving generally westward or west northwestward over the Philippine Sea and the center of its eye is forecasted to make initial landfall in the vicinity of Siargao-Bucas Grande Islands or Dinagat Islands today, December 16. Afterwards, the center of “ODETTE” will move westward and cross several provinces in the Central and Western Visayas regions before passing over the Sulu Sea tomorrow morning, December 17. After passing near or in the vicinity of either Cuyo or Cagayancillo archipelago, “ODETTE” is expected to cross the northern or central portion of Palawan tomorrow afternoon or evening, December 17, before passing over the West Philippine Sea.
Please consider the following actions:
- Move or secure outdoor items located on balconies or in parking areas. Clear balcony drains of any blockages.
- Close your windows.
- Stay current on weather developments: Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration (PAGASA) at http://www.pagasa.dost.gov.ph
- Stay inside. Plan on indoor activities.
- Stock up on your favorite food and drink.
- Ensure you have first-aid supplies.
- U.S. Embassy Manila: +63 (2) 5301-2000; ACSInfoManila@state.gov
- State Department – Consular Affairs: 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Philippines Country Specific Information
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter