United States Embassy Manila, Philippines
United States Consular Agency Cebu, Philippines
April 30, 2021
Planned Demonstration/Protest at Bonifacio Square on May 1, 2021
The U.S. Embassy has been informed of a demonstration/protest event scheduled to occur Saturday, May 1, 2021, at Bonifacio Square (formally Plaza Lawton). This location is approximately one mile north of the U.S. Embassy.
Initial reports indicate this event will be associated with Philippine Labor Day activities and last throughout the day. Due to the NCR+ Modified Enhanced Community Quarantine, the number of participants is undetermined.
Traffic disruptions in the area are expected, as are the potential for flash demonstrations in the vicinity of the U.S. Embassy. This event is not expected to be violent. However, U.S. citizens are advised to avoid the Bonifacio Square area and exercise caution if in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid the areas of the demonstration.
- Exercise caution when in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Keep a low profile.
- U.S. Embassy in the Philippines: +63(2) 5301-2000 or ACSInfoManila@state.gov
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Philippines Country Information
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook