An official website of the United States government

Locating Friends and Relatives in the United States
March 3, 2022

Consular staff of the U.S. Embassy does not have the resources to assist you in locating someone in the United States. In fact, because of strict privacy laws, it is very difficult for any Department of the United States Government to disclose private addresses of individuals. There are, however, a number of private resources available that can assist you in locating individuals in the United States. When contacting one of the agencies listed below, provide as much information and documentation as possible (for example, a birth certificate or information about the date and place of birth). If you are related to the person you are seeking, explain the relationship and, if possible, document this.

U.S. Armed Forces

To contact a member of the U.S. Armed Forces, write to: National Personnel Records Center, Military Personnel Records, 9700 Page Blvd, St Louis MO 63132.

Other Internet Resources:

  • Infobel
  • Infospace
  • KnowX Ultimate People Finder
  • Superpages
  • Switchboard.com
  • WhitePages.com
  • Who? Where?
  • Yahoo! People Search

Social Security Administration (SSA)

The U.S. Social Security Administration (SSA) will forward letters on humanitarian grounds in cases involving mental anguish, serious illness, or a death in the immediate family. Note: this process may take several months before you receive a response. SSA will attempt to forward a letter to the missing person through the last known employer. Where there is a sizable consideration — such as an inheritance due to the missing person — SSA will attempt to make contact for a fee of US$11.00 for each letter handled. Payment should be made in the form of a U.S. dollar bank draft made payable to the Social Security Administration. SSA will forward your letter, if possible, but will not report whether or not it has been delivered.

In your request, include the following:

  • A letter to your relative and place it in a plain unsealed envelope bearing her/his full name, Social Security Number (if known), date and place of birth, father’s name and mother’s maiden name.
  • A letter to the SSA explaining the circumstances of the case and the reasons for your search. Place this letter with the unsealed letter to your relative in an envelope, seal and address it to Social Security Administration, Letter Forwarding, P.O. Box 33022, Baltimore MD 21290.

Salvation Army

The Salvation Army is willing to search for relatives only. Contact: Family Tracing, the Salvation Army Philippine Territory, 1414 Leon Guinto Sr. Street, 1000 Ermita, Manila, Philippines.  Postal Address:  P.O. Box 3830, 1099, Manila, Philippines.  Telephone:  (02) 524-0086 to 88, Fax No.:  (02) 521-6912, Email: saphl1@phl.salvationarmy.org

U.S. Immigrants

For passenger lists of immigrants to the U.S. land records, and naturalization records, write to: National Archives and Records Administration, Suitland Reference Branch (NNRR) Room 103, Washington National Records Center, Washington DC 20409, Telephone: (301) 763 7410.

American Association of the Philippines (AAP)

The American Association of the Philippines may be able to provide assistance in locating a relative in the U.S.  Specifically, it can help in searching for the address of a relative in the U.S. through the various U.S. government agencies.   For more information, please write to: The American Association of the Philippines, Unit 601, Erechem Building, Salcedo St., cor. Rufino Street, Legaspi Village, Makati City.

Tel. Nos. 892-5198; 892-2510; Fax No. 867-1689.

E-mail: aap@eastern.com.ph

Website: http://www.americanassociationphilippines.org

Vital Records

To order copies of U.S. birth certificates, death, marriage, and divorce records: visit VitalChek.com