Health Alert – U.S. Embassy Manila, Philippines (March 17, 2020)
Location: The Philippines
The government of the Philippines has implemented enhanced screening and quarantine measures to reduce the spread of COVID-19. Travelers should be prepared for travel restrictions to be put into effect with little or no advance notice.
On March 16, the government of the Philippines announced an enhanced community quarantine for the Luzon area. Local authorities announced that air travel will be severely restricted in the coming days. We urge U.S. citizens wishing to depart the Philippines to contact the airlines for assistance.
Some general points as reported in the media are:
- A strict home quarantine will be observed, with movement allowed only for basic necessities.
- Only establishments providing “basic necessities” will be open, such as supermarkets, hospitals/clinics, and pharmacies.
- Mass public transportation is suspended.
- Domestic land, air, and sea travel is restricted.
- Philippine authorities have indicated that international travel will be restricted, and foreign passport holders who wish to depart the country must do so before midnight on Thursday, March 19. Inbound passengers may be subjected to quarantine measures. This information is subject to change: check with your airline.
- Classes and schools are suspended until April 14, 2020.
- Mass gatherings are prohibited.
Effective March 16, 2020, U.S. Embassy Manila has suspended routine consular services, including all visa services. For emergency American Citizen Services, including emergency passports, please visit our website for additional information.
Actions to Take:
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines, cruise lines, or travel operators regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Monitor local news for updates.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 here for information on conditions in the Philippines.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the U.S.
- U.S. Embassy in the Philippines
1201 Roxas Boulevard
+63(2)5301-2000, from 7:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Monday through Friday
After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +(63)(2)5301-2000.
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Advisories, Alerts, and the Philippines Country Specific Information.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts.
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.