Program Year: 2003
Grantee: National Historical Commission of the Philippines (formerly National Historical Institute)
Grant Amount: US$30,000
Awarding Agency: Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs (under the Ambassador’s Fund for Cultural Preservation Program)
Project Summary: The project involved the partial rehabilitation and restoration the Legarda Elementary School, the oldest surviving school building in Manila. Built in 1922, it is most notable for its main building that has managed to retain its pre-war Victorian style of architecture. The main building was designed by Andres Luna de San Pedro, the architect son of the internationally acclaimed Filipino painter Juan Luna.
Status: Completed in December 2004