Renewing Your U.S. Passport? Mail it in!
Renewing your U.S. passport? Save time and money – mail it in! Watch the video for important tips when preparing the required documents for a U.S. passport renewal.
You are eligible to renew by mail on Form DS-82 if you can answer yes to all of the following:
- I can submit my most recent U.S. passport book by mail with my renewal application;
- I was at least 16 years old when my most recent passport book was issued;
- I was issued my most recent U.S. passport book less than 15 years ago;
- My most recent U.S. passport book has/had a validity of 10 years from issuance to expiration;
- My most recent U.S. passport book was issued in my current name (or I can document my name change by submitting marriage certificate, divorce decree, or court order with my passport application;) and
- I currently reside in and/or have a valid mailing address in the Philippines.
If you are eligible to renew by mail, you do not need to make an appointment.
If you do not meet these criteria to renew by mail, you must instead apply for a new passport on Form DS-11 and make an appointment to submit an application in person, at either the Embassy in Manila or the Consular Agency in Cebu.
Passport renewal by mail typically takes 6-8 weeks. If you have a need for immediate international travel, we may be able to issue you a limited validity emergency passport; please schedule an appointment to do so. Be prepared to provide proof of your itinerary or urgent need to travel. If you require an earlier appointment than what is available online, contact us by e-mail at ACSInfoManila@state.gov. When you contact us by e-mail, please include your planned travel itinerary, a copy of your passport’s bio-data page, and indicate “Emergency Passport” in the subject line of your email.
Payment Methods & Details
Online Fee Payment for DS-82 Adult Passport Renewals:
If you will renew your passport via Form DS-82, you can pay the adult passport renewal application fee of $130.00 fee online on Pay.gov, via ACH Bank Account Transfer (from a U.S. bank account), U.S. or international credit/debit card, PayPal, or Amazon Pay. This amount cannot be altered. You must pay the fee in U.S. dollars. We no longer accept U.S. dollar demand drafts for mail-in renewals
Pay the $130.00 passport application fee online via the U.S. government’s secure payment site. In the name fields on the payment site, please use your current legal name, even if it is different from the name that appears on your prior passport. If you are submitting a payment on behalf of another passport renewal applicant, please enter their name. All fields are required.
The payment form on Pay.gov is encrypted to ensure the security of your personal information. Pay.gov is a secure portal, used by more 40 U.S. government agencies, to collect forms and payments. Pay.gov uses 128-bit SSL encryption to protect your transaction.
If you experience technical issues with your online payment, please email OnsiteFees@state.gov with a description or screenshots of the issue you are experiencing.
Online fee payment is currently available for passport book renewals only, and not for a passport book and passport card combination. If you wish to renew both a passport book and card, please instead apply with an appointment, as online payments for the passport card are not yet accepted.
After successfully paying the fee, you will receive a confirmation email. Please print out that electronic payment confirmation and include the printout it in the package you send to the U.S. Embassy in Manila.
How to Apply
Steps to renewing your U.S. passport by mail (Form DS-82) and paying your application fee online via Pay.gov:
- Verify your eligibility to apply on Form DS-82;
- Visit Pay.gov and make your online payment for your DS-82 renewal application;
- Print out the emailed payment confirmation you receive;
- Complete the DS-82 application form, including your signature and the date, and attach your 2×2 photo;
- Mail your payment confirmation printout, your signed DS-82 application, prior passport, photo copy of your prior passport, proof of name change (if applicable), and 2×2 photo via mail or courier to the U.S. Embassy in the Philippines (Note: Do not include a return envelope, new passports are delivered via the Embassy’s contracted courier, Air21). You may use any local courier of your choice or the Embassy’s contracted courier, Air21. When you send your application via Air21, the one-time fee covers two-way service: pick-up of documents and delivery of your new passport. You may call (02) 8459-2147, Monday through Friday between 7:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m., to arrange for Air21 to pick up your documents and deliver them to the Embassy. Costs may vary based on location and other factors. Track your own shipment to verify when your application was delivered to the Embassy using the online portal of your chosen local courier. Processing time starts from the time we receive your application packet, not when you sent it to us. We will be unable to reply to follow-up emails for applications still in transit to the embassy.
For DS-82 Adult Passport Renewal (Mail-in only) and DS-5504:
We receive DS-82 renewal application packets at the U.S. Embassy in Manila. Please mail your DS-82 application packet, including proof of your online payment, to:
- Passport Team
American Citizen Services, Consular Section
1201 Roxas Blvd.
Receiving Your Renewed Passport
You should receive your passport by mail/courier within six to eight weeks of approval. Your previous, canceled passport will be delivered together with your new U.S. passport along with any original documents you submitted. We are unable to process requests for expedited passport renewal services.
We suggest you use a trackable courier service to submit your application packet to us, so you can track the progress of the delivery. Please wait until your package shows as delivered with your chosen courier service before inquiring with the Embassy as to whether we have received it.
You may check the status of your DS-82 renewal passport application using the Department of State’s U.S. Passport Application Status online application. Please note that shipping time from the printing facility in the United States to the Embassy in the Philippines is typically two to three weeks. Delivery times may vary.